Australian Lithium Going to Chinese Factories

Keith Kohl

Written By Keith Kohl

Posted July 21, 2015

China, the world’s largest energy importer, is taking a special interest in the lithium mines of Australia, which has the world’s third largest lithium reserves. And one Chinese company is offering to buy the majority of spodumene produced in the Mount Marion mine, the second-largest high-grade hard-rock lithium mine in the world.

Jiangxi Ganfeng Lithium (SZSE: 002460) has offered to buy 100% of the refined lithium product from Reed Industrial Materials, a company owned in part by Neometals (ASX: NMT) and Process Minerals International, a subsidiary of Mineral Resources (ASX: MIN). The spodumene will be sold to Ganfeng at a previously agreed-upon price, and Reed will have the option to keep and sell up to 51% of the product if there is an opportunity to sell it at a better rate elsewhere.

Not only is this a clearly profitable trade agreement for both companies, but each went a step further and offered share options. Neometals currently owns 70% of Reed, and Mineral Resources owns the remaining 30%. Under the deal, Ganfeng can acquire 25% of Reed’s shares, leaving Neometals with 45%.

Neometals will receive $19.5 million in this transaction, with the chance to gain more if Ganfeng and Mineral Resources opt to buy up to 31.2% more of Reed’s shares between them.

Pile of SpodumeneThe financial and legal obligations to close this deal lie with Ganfeng, and there is no doubt the company will find this a mutually beneficial deal.

You see, Australia has the third largest lithium reserves, but managed to beat Chile, the country in the number 1 spot, at lithium production last year. Australia became the world’s top lithium producer with 13,000 tonnes in 2014, and Mount Marion is expected to add another 5,500 tonnes per year.

Reed is one of only two companies in the world to produce highly-refined lithium hydroxide directly, and has patented its process. It would benefit Ganfeng to own a large portion of this high-grade producer.

And let’s not forget the spodumene itself: this kind of hard-rock produces some of the purest lithium available in rock mining, and is an important source of lithium for ceramic work, nuclear power plants, and lithium batteries.

With lithium demand growing, especially in energy-heavy China, demand for this kind of product is here to stay.

To continue reading…

Click here to read the Resource Investing News article.

Until next time,

Keith Kohl Signature

Keith Kohl

follow basicCheck us out on YouTube!

A true insider in the technology and energy markets, Keith’s research has helped everyday investors capitalize from the rapid adoption of new technology trends and energy transitions. Keith connects with hundreds of thousands of readers as the Managing Editor of Energy & Capital, as well as the investment director of Angel Publishing’s Energy Investor and Technology and Opportunity.

For nearly two decades, Keith has been providing in-depth coverage of the hottest investment trends before they go mainstream — from the shale oil and gas boom in the United States to the red-hot EV revolution currently underway. Keith and his readers have banked hundreds of winning trades on the 5G rollout and on key advancements in robotics and AI technology.

Keith’s keen trading acumen and investment research also extend all the way into the complex biotech sector, where he and his readers take advantage of the newest and most groundbreaking medical therapies being developed by nearly 1,000 biotech companies. His network includes hundreds of experts, from M.D.s and Ph.D.s to lab scientists grinding out the latest medical technology and treatments. You can join his vast investment community and target the most profitable biotech stocks in Keith’s Topline Trader advisory newsletter.

Angel Publishing Investor Club Discord - Chat Now

Keith Kohl Premium



Hydrogen Fuel Cells: The Downfall of Tesla?

Lithium has been the front-runner in the battery technology market for years, but that is all coming to an end. Elon Musk is against them, but Jeff Bezos is investing heavily in them. Hydrogen Fuel Cells will turn the battery market upside down and we've discovered a tiny company that is going to make it happen...

Sign up to receive your free report. After signing up, you'll begin receiving the Energy and Capital e-letter daily.